Monday, March 26, 2007

Why do I doubt God?

Well i have good news! I got my practicum lined up! here's the story for those who don't know the whole story...

For my course here @ SAIT, I am required to do a four week practicum workin in the Travel and Tourism industry. I decided to look into doing that practicum in a travel agency because that's what i'm interested in. I thought it would be nice to live @ home and do my 4 weeks at a travel agency there. so when i went home for Christmas i talked to the manager of the travel agency in Humboldt (which is the closest to home, 45 min drive from my farm) about having my practicum there. We e-mailed back and forth about this possibility for about 2 months.

A few weeks ago i was under the impression that that travel agency would not have things for me to do there for those 4 weeks. I was really bummed because i didn't want my effort and networking to be going to waste. I e-mailed her saying that i'm required to do some research on preferred suppliers, and maybe even do a few WestJet bookings. I was just hoping i could work there and still learn about the industry while still living @ home. At that point it didn't look hopeful for my to work there...

that night, I called my dad about that problem and he suggested that i call other places too. I also broke down and cried on the phone with him. He said that i was stressed out. And that i totally agreed on that part. So he gave me phone numbers of other travel agencies in my area and i called them the next day about me working there. I also phoned my godmother who works in Saskatoon about working with her. so i was trying to keep my options open and keep positive about this whole thing.

Today my class had our second practicum meeting and we got some paperwork and more information about practicum stuff. i knew i had to give more information to the agency in Humboldt that i was originally looking at. When i got home from my meeting today i called the agency a couple times and both times the manager was busy with something else. I got frustrated didn't even want to phone a 3rd time. I'm glad i did...

I phoned a 3rd time and the manager herself picked up. We talked about the e-mails that were sent back and forth, discussed the things that i could do for the agency, hers and mine expectations for those 4 weeks. The last e-mail that i got from her was to know if i wanted to work there. I was under the impression that i wouldn't have alot for me to do. However she was saying how i can do my research for deals, call car rental places, learn their computer systems, stuff like that....which is what i'm supposed to do in a practicum anyway. So we discussed me doing that. I asked her if those things are a possibility and if she wanted me to confirm me working there. She said that since those things were possible for me to do, that we could confirm it. So i gave her the dates that i wanted to work and they worked for her. So all in all i will be working in Humboldt for my practicum.

This whole process was hard for me because I like being in control ofthings and if things don't go my way right away i get upset and easily forget that God has other plans. This time He allowed it to work out that i can live at home and not have to rely on other people for accommodation. When i got off the phone with the manager of the Humboldt agency, i cried because things were working out the way that i hoped for. God is good! There wasn't really a point in getting frustrated and stressed about it....or maybe there was . Without those moments i wouldn't have realized that i needed God to take control of this whole thing. And i'm glad that He put me in those moments where i know that I need Him to make my plans work.

Moral of the sotry?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition present your requests to God. And the peace that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus our Lord." Philippian 4:6-7*

Now, just because i got a practicum lined up, doesn't mean that things are completely perfect in that part. Continue to pray for it. That I'll learn what i need to, that the people i will be working with will be open to my questions and concerns. Pray that it all goes well. Thanks guys :)

*this might be a little off because i wrote it from memory, as long as u get the jist of the verse

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Earlene!!! I am so excited that this worked out.... hooray!!! :)And we will talk tonight. But I just thought I'd share my happiness... once again. talk to you later. <3 Amy