Friday, August 22, 2008

Fall Musings

So it's that time of year again, you know it's been coming for months, but you didn't want to think about it cause it's your time away from it all...."BACK TO SCHOOL".

That phrase gets me all nostalgic. I liked back to school shopping, well at least in elementary school when it was fun. I mean being able to get another set of Crayola's with that fresh tip unmarred by any paper. Or getting those new pencil crayons and sharpening them to perfection.

Also the clothes. Let's not forget those. There's been years when i just didn't care what i wore on that first day of school. Like a matching sweatpant set. I actaully remember wearing that the first day back to school for Gr.11 (or was it Gr.10, doesn't matter). The pressure of getting that perfect "first day back to school" outfit seems to only be in high school. NOt so true anymore. Have you seen the commercial where the girl, who looks like she's 7 says "but everyone at school is wearing hoddies and jeans" then there's a shot of everyone at this girl's school wearing hoodies and jeans. This kid is 7!! 7! i mean when i was 7 my "back to school" concern was getting my new markers and stationary, not fashion! If this is what kids have to deal with now for school pressure i shudder at what my kids have to deal with. So not only is there's pressure to have that perfect oufit for when you go back to the locker lined hallways, but there's pressure to go through the exact same thing four months later at Christmas. I mean why! So that the "popular" kids can brag about having the latest Billabong / Roxy whatever, but for what? There's so much politics in high school that it just doesn't make any sense. Yes i wanted to be popular then...that could be a whole other blog entry in itself, so i won't go there now. BUt really what's all this high school "bling" for anyway? To pack away and to never touch again til you kids route through your stuff and you can hear the phrase "You actually wore this?" Ya i have some of that stuff in my basement too. But most of that was either bought on sale, hand-me-downs, or bought at a thrift store. I only bought my first Billabong item last year, but it's a reversible sweater so my excuse for getting it is that 's two for one. BUt i know SO many people who splurge on name brand stuff so much that it doesn't seem like splurging, it's more of a neccessity for them. I don't get it.

No comments: