Sunday, March 05, 2006

And the Oscar Goes To...

You've to be nuts to think that I wouldn't post my thought on the 78th Academy Awards.
So here we go...

There were many memorable moments to this year's show. 1st of all the big shock of the night being the winner for Best Original Song-3 6 Mafia's song "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp". It was a nice change from the typical softer tone of music that comes from Oscar winning songs. I actually didn't get to hear the whole song. I was channel flipping to avoid having dad hear the word "pimp". Don't ask why, i just did that. But i did get to hear the basic jist of the song. Ironically one of the artists from Three Six Mafia thanked Jesus. Now that was the only person that thanked Him. The only one. The runner up for thanking God was Best Actress Reese Witherspoon when she said she was "blessed". That's it. That kinda tells you a little something about Hollywood these days...of course you as movie goers probably saw that coming a mile away. I thought I'd just like to point that out.

Of course I was excited to hear that Reese Witherspoon won the award for Best Actress. Now i can't say that i've seen "Walk the Line", because i haven't yet, but the most recent movie of her's that I've seen is "Sweet Home Alabama" and i enjoyed her work in that. Now i dont' think that has anything to do with her current win, but I suppose that's ok too. I was actually shocked to hear that Reese Witherspoon's and Ryan Phillipe's daughter (Eva) is 6 years old. Dude, i totally remember seeing pictures of Reese in her pregnancy stages in a Seventeen magazine...but apparently that was over 6 years ago. Man i"m getting old fast!!

Oh and another memorable moment was when Jennifer Garner almost slipped on stage. That definately had the potential to be humourous however she pulled it off very gracefully. Good for you Jennifer. Speaking of Jennifer...did anyone notice that Brad Pitt wasn't at the Awards? Well he could have been but he just wasn't acknowledged. I thought that was an interesting fact.

On a personal note the amount of accents in the Kodak theatre was great. I think there was eveything from South African, to Australian, to British, to Irish to (of course a fav of mine) New Zealand. I love accents..."I don't know how to quit you"! (just to steal a quote from "Brokeback Mountain") Oh and it was nice that Peter Jackson didn't walk off with a wheelbarrow full of Oscars like he did with "Lord of the Rings". Refreshing change.

As for Best Picture this year's winner was Crash . Now i don't know alot abou this film because my only experience with it was when the cast was on Oprah. All i know is that it's a film that makes you think about tolerence and racial issues.

Well that's all for now. "Good Night and Good Luck" !

No comments: